Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Interview with author, Mary Muhammed















Today I welcome Mary Muhammed who is on her Virtual Book Tour!  Please post a comment to be entered in a drawing for her book at the end of her tour.  Mary, welcome to Immortyl Revolution.  What age group is your work geared toward?

The age groups I write for are all ages. I have books that will hopefully bring something to all who read them.


Into which genre would you say your work falls and why?

The genre I write in mostly is poetry; because it’s always been my way to express, to sing and to voice whatever is pushing to come out. Be it in a story form or free style, Poetry is and will always be my first voice.

Tell us a little about your latest book.

My latest book Journeys of a Soul is poetry that whispers a little romance, it sings a dance and cries the ills of society while wrapping its reader spiritually.

Who is your favorite character in your fiction and why?

Journeys of a Soul is poetry, however my book Hugs and Kisses is a book about two little girls who are discussing the ill ways of touching. In this book, Tracy is the main character, so I have to say her for this reason.

What other writers would you say have influenced your work and why? What are some of your favorite books?

For my poetry, I was greatly influenced by Paul Laurence Dunbar. Not many young poets today know of him, but he was a great writer of his time. I especially loved his work “The seedling” and “Sympathy. I enjoy his writing because of the diversity of how he wrote, the messages in his words and the strength in his voice.

What is your writing process like? Do you do a lot of background research? Do you plot every detail or do you prefer the characters to move the story in new directions, or a combination of both? Do you belong to a critique group and do you find this helpful?

When writing my book Hugs and Kisses I did my research, I watched the news clips, I researched the organizations who are advocates for this issue, so when it was published I was able to inform in a sure manner. I was aware of this awful plague ruining the lives of many children. When writing the story, I let the characters move the story in the direction I felt it should go to get the message out. I also added detail, so the story lines could be opened for discussion. I felt this would serve as grounding for helping the intended subjects. As for groups, I do belong to a few with my favorite at the moment being fan story.

Do you have any advice for young or beginning writers?

I have had the chance to read a lot of work from the younger generation, and for them I continue to say, believe in your writing, your voice and your message. Let it out, let it go and just do it.

Who is your publisher and where are your books available? Are there e-books and hard copies available? My publishers are Publish America, Lulu Publishing and Create Space through Amazon. There are hard copies available for my first publishing Echoes of an Era as well as my first young adult novel Love laws. At the moment neither are e-books.

What is your website and/or blog where readers can learn more? Can they friend you on Facebook or other sites?

My websites are www.marysbookplace.com http://mhammads.blogspot.com www.marysbookspalace.webs.com Yes, they can friend me on Facebook as well.

Are there any upcoming signings or appearances you'd like to mention?

Well my PR is setting up a book signing, the details are not complete at the moment, but I’m sure it will be soon and I’ll post this for everyone at my websites.

Mary, Thanks so much for joining me today!

No comments: