Friday, June 11, 2010

Author Interview with Vogue

Today I welcome Vogue, who is on her Authors Supporting Authors Virtual Tour. 






















Hello and welcome to Immortyl Revolution. Tell us a little about yourself.

Vogue: Thanks for having me! To start, I am twenty-five years old and currently reside in Rock Hill, SC. I am a graduate of Winthrop University and hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Work. I begin writing when I was in high school and as you can see, I haven’t stopped yet!

Anything interesting facts you would like to share with readers?

Vogue: My most interesting writing quirk would probably have to be that I outline each of my novels. Since I am writing a ten book series, it is very important that I keep a lot of information consistent. I have several notebooks just filled with notes from each of the books. Some of them have actually ended up in print while others ended up on the cutting room floor.

What made you decide to write your first novel?

Vogue: When I was in high school, my sister’s best friend had started writing a novel. I decided to give it a shot just to try something different from poetry and I fell in love with it. Once my first book was written, I realized that I had a strong desire to be a writer. Not only that, I loved the fact that writing allowed me to utilize my imagination.

What genre do you write?

Vogue: Currently, I write urban fiction or street lit, but I have plans to break out into other genres. As a writer, you have to grow with your craft otherwise people will soon lose interest.

What has inspired you most?  Who is your favorite author?

Vogue: What keeps me inspired is seeing the reaction from people who have read my work. My debut novel was just released on June 1st so people have started receiving their copies. I love hearing my readers’ thoughts and opinions, especially when they tell me that I’m always keeping them guessing. My favorite author is actually a writing duo, Ashley and Jaquavis, who are signed to Urban Books. Some of their works include: The Trophy Wife, The Cartel, The Cartel 2, Dirty Money, Supreme Clientele, amongst other titles. What I love about this writing duo is that they are easily able to mix two writing personalities together to form a novel that not only attracts female readers, but male readers as well.


What does your family think of your writing?


Vogue: Diamonds in the Rough is the first novel that my family will read by me so I am waiting to hear the feedback. Right now, they are simply encouraging me and being a positive support system. Every time they tell me that their proud of me, it’s like hearing it for the first time. It never gets old. I’m blessed to have the family that I do.

Name something you learned while creating your book.


Vogue: Well, I first learned this in high school when I took a creative writing course. As an author, you have to write as if no one is looking over your shoulder. There were several times when I was writing The Ace of Diamonds (Book Three of The Diamond Collection) that my mind was saying, “What are people going to think?” I realized that I couldn’t focus on other people’s opinions especially when you’re trying to keep a storyline new and exciting. I decided to stretch my imagination and deal with the feedback when it comes.
What inspired this novel?

Vogue: As an avid reader, I was inspired to write my novel because I wanted to read something different in street lit. Most of the time, the lead female characters are born in the projects or the “hood,” other than in middle or upper class environments. As the reader, it made it harder to be able to relate to the character because I did not grow up in that kind of environment. I decided to write the kind of book that I wanted to read. I then prayed that others would want to read it, too.

Here’s a brief synopsis of Diamonds in the Rough: Carmen Davenport is living the American dream. Born with a silver spoon in her mouth, she has anything that a twenty-one year old college student would want. This includes one of the most lucrative clothing companies in New York. The only thing missing is love until she lays eyes on Jay Santiago, a Puerto Rican drug lord.

Almost instantly, Carmen begins to fall for him. After securing the rights to her inheritance, Carmen soon learns that Flame, Inc. is headed towards a downward spiral. Too ambitious to allow her dream to go down the drain, Carmen begins pulling at all lifelines to save her company. Putting aside everything she’s ever believed in, Carmen soon finds herself entangled in a web of lies, betrayal, and crime.

Where can readers get your novel?

Vogue: Diamonds in the Rough can be found at www.passionatewriterpublishing.com and amazon:



Do you have a website, fan site, or Blog?


Vogue: Yes, my official website is Simply Vogue, www.simplyvogue.net.



What advice do you have for young or aspiring writers?



Vogue: To all of the aspiring authors, never let one door shut in your face without opening up another. No one is going to make your dream come true, but you.

Vogue, thank you for being my guest today! Readers, please leave a comment for Vogue to be entered for prizes with Authors Supporting Authors.










1 comment:

BK said...

Fantastic interview!