Sunday, September 11, 2011

Jessica McHugh's Song of Eidolons Tour

Today,the spotlight is on Jessica McHugh's
Song of Eidolons


Jessica is going to tell us a bit about her unique take on the writing process.  So without further ado, here's Jessica!


I'm not a blogger. If it's not obvious to you already, it probably will be after this post.



I'm a fiction chick. Everything about my life is invention, so it's difficult for me to sit down and write about something completely real without it being a rant. And let's face it, there's a lot to rant about. But I don't want to rant. I want to write something sweet, something uplifting, something helpful.


But I'll probably just end up sounding like an ass. A perky, all-eyes-on-me ass, but an ass nonetheless. I suppose reality and I don't get along very well.


I say, “Good morning, Reality. I'm Jessica and I have a lot of writing work to do, so I'm just going to stay home and get it done.”


To which Reality always gives me the old-fashioned glove slap and orders me out to my car, out into a world that is neither cloaked in day or night. It's just dim. So seems the brunt of weekdays; until 2:30p hits and I give Reality the finger. Don't worry. Reality totally deserves it.


People tell me to blog about how I create characters or how I write dialog, but the truth is, I don't know how it happens. It's difficult for me to put my writing process into words. Sometimes I feel like my brain is dictating a conversation that's already happened. Often I get worried when the dialogue comes quickly; I'm afraid I've written it before, but I've searched my documents and it hasn't happened yet. Good for the book, sure, but bad for the author explaining how she came up with it. Not only am I scatter-brained about how I write, I'm also a little fuzzy on stuff I've already written. I work very quickly and multitask like crazy, so once I'm done with a story, I give it the heave-ho from Hotel JessBrain. My mind is already a cluttered mess of story ideas: ones I'm currently writing and ones I'm planning (all the way to 2014), so I just don't have the room for old ideas. When I'm asked about plot points or specific character details, I have to stop and think, “Okay, 'From the Herald's Wearied Eye'...that's...the dystopian...one...”


So I can't really talk about the internal process, but I can explain the process in which I write and edit for a little glimpse into my mad writing world.



1. THE IDEA



Pictured: some crooked-faced writer chick researching the Mutus Liber for “Song of Eidolons”







2. WRITE



Ale optional...sometimes...



3. STAB THE ALPHABET



(aka type handwritten material into the computer)


Hopefully, your desk actually faces the TV.


PS- Kevin Costner not always included.






4. FIRST REVISION/EXTENSION

 ...Unless you wrote it perfectly the first time. If that's the case, you better hide because I'm coming to steal your magic powers.






5. STAB THE ALPHABET (yes, AGAIN)



Ralphie Parker is to his pink bunny costume as Jessica McHugh is to Stabbing the Alphabet.






6. SECOND REVISION/ EXTENSION






7. You have to STAB THE ALPHABET again,


but I'm not going to dignify it with a picture this time.










8. AUDITORY REVISION

Don't be surprised if you have to wear an ice glove by this point.




Set the computer to read the manuscript aloud. Listen for errors or weird sounding phrases and fix as you go along, but ALSO rock out a bit because you're almost done!!






9. Finally, SUBMIT!!




Or, send to your Mom to edit and then, SUBMIT!


(Thanks, Mom.)






There you have it. That's my writing process, and except for Stabbing the Alphabet, I love every part of it. Wait, did it come across that I don't like Stabbing the Alphabet? I wouldn't want that to be misunderstood. ;)

Thanks so much for having me as a guest, Denise! This was an absolute blast, and I think I might just have earned my beer today. Depending on what time everyone out there reads this, you're welcome to have one too.

I'm with you, Jessica.  I'm ready for my libation as well, but my drink of choice is Merlot.  Thanks for being my guest and writing such an entertaining post!








Song of Eidolons

Delaney Lortal is a unique breed of girl. She is well spoken, extremely well read, and highly ambitious for love, but it is not those qualities that make her so unique. It's not even because in twenty-two years of life, she has never set foot outside of her grandfather's house. What makes her so unique is the truth behind a mysterious secret that has made her the target of a clandestine Order called the Orisanima. As wondrous as it is heartbreaking, Song of Eidolons follows Delaney's journey of enlightenment as she struggles to peel back the layers of deceit to discover the amazing truth about her origins.






Jessica McHugh is an author of speculative fiction that spans the genre from horror and alternate history to epic fantasy. A prolific writer, she has devoted herself to novels, short stories, novellas, and even playwriting. She has had nine books published in three years, including "Song of Eidolons", "The Sky: The World" and the first three installments in her "Tales of Dominhydor" series.

http://www.jessicamchughbooks.com/


No comments: